Headstand

Yoga Every Damn Day As a part of A to Z April Blogging challenge, I am going to post a series of Yoga poses. Don't worry I will keep it simple and crisp... and try not to make it boring. {All pictures are mine, clicked by my dear husband}


Salamba Sirsasana or Supported Headstand 

I was vacationing with friends at a Golf Resort during Easter break. Unfortunately, it was raining continuously for two days. So one afternoon while they were taking a nap, I was roaming around the Villa, bored, taking pictures in weird corners and weird positions :) 

I still remember the day I started doing headstands, about two months ago. My legs were going all over the place. It seemed to be the most difficult task that ever existed on earth. But now that I am able to do it, moving away from the wall is tough. I just keep rolling back and forth.

To hold the balance you need a strong core, so before I start with headstands,  I do a series downward-facing dog and plank poses to activate the core.




Benefits

  • Calms the brain and helps relieve stress and mild depression
  • Stimulates the pituitary and pineal glands
  • Strengthens the arms, legs, and spine
  • Strengthens the lungs
  • Tones the abdominal organs
  • Improves digestion
  • Helps relieve the symptoms of menopause
  • Therapeutic for asthma, infertility, insomnia, and sinusitis (Source)


Day 2 - Bakasana
Day 4 - Dhanurasana
Day 5 - Eagle Pose
Day 6 - Fishy Fishy
Day 7 - Gate Pose

39 comments:

  1. Wish I had started doing these before my knees went. Maybe I could have saved them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry to hear about knees ... thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  2. This looks like the most difficult one of all, Raj! I am just admiring the poses and the photography every day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. will practice it gets easier :)
      thank you so much Shailaja :)

      Delete
  3. how does the world look down there?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have swore not to try this ever again :P Last time I did, I nearly twisted my neck!

    Hidden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ouch that would have hurt. If carefully done it won't hurt. A proper warmup sequence needs to be done before and after this asana. :)

      Delete
  5. You might have to show 'plank' pose for P as I forget; however, not sure if I'll be doing that anytime soon, though excellent benefits! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very difficult one.. I used to do as a kid when the body is light and flexible. I am not so sure now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so easy to do these as a kid. I too struggle sometimes. Thnks for writing in.

      Delete
  7. Man! You are quite a pro on yoga!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. hehehe no it isn't that scary :) thank you :)

      Delete
  9. Haven't had the guts to try this one! You are a pro, Raj! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This one I have tried. I almost sprained my neck and it was sore for several days. Clearly I was doing it wrong. You are such a pro at this.
    *Shantala @ ShanayaTales*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ohh that would have been painful. I do a sequence of warmup before trying it. Maybe that would help :)

      Delete
  12. I used to do these as a kid, but at my age now, no way! LOL Ah... to be young and agile again. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! I wish I could do that..That's super hard..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure wiyth practice you can do that :)
      thank you :D

      Delete
  14. This is the impossible pose for me! :O
    You rocked it Princess.. awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am embarrassed to admit, but headstands are one of the things that stops me from ever doing yoga.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. nothing to be embarrassed about. I have learnt this only recently :)

      Delete
  16. :D :D :D
    I don't even dream of doing this! Hehehe! :P

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great posture about balancing the body. Good to know about the advantages associated with it. We call it "Pranayaam" or "aasan"?

    Nice post..

    ReplyDelete
  18. thanks a lot Vishal. It's asana.

    ReplyDelete
  19. this is something that im battling with - handstands, headstands and wheel pose. I'm so scared to trust my body!! But its my resolution to get them all working atleast decently before my bday this year!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your presence!! Don't forget to leave behind a comment. Love, Feedback, Brickbats!! Everything's welcome :)

Networked

How Popular Am I?

Search This Blog

Loading...