The Smell of Old Books

From gripping tales of fading yore
to mysterious realms of Gondor
Enclosed between the tinted pages
Are wizards, Chirons and a few curses

Secretly reading Nancy Drew,
and Hardy boys to name a few,
Placed within mathematics guide,
to be hidden from Mommy’s sight


Nostalgic is the smell of old books
few succeed in changing outlooks

Reality too sometimes borrow
Silent sighs of a printed sorrow

I am still a huge fan of paper books. The crisp fold of paperbook, earmarked and sometimes pale, the aroma of newly bought binded cover, the exchange between friends; these are the simple pleasure of a book-o-holic. All my favourite books have a special place in my memory. Some I read tucked in bed listening to the raindrops against the window pane, while some kept me hooked till early morning and few were read in secrecy while a major production issue was being discussed by team.


Agreed E-books are portable and they have their own advantages, but since I am an emotional fool who is blind to practicality love the feel of turning pages in real than on 4.3 inch screen :P 

One more reason I love books is the awesome bookmarks that I get to use. Here's one that I made few months back :)




9 comments:

  1. "Reality too sometimes borrow
    Silent sighs of a printed sorrow" I like these lines very much Rajlaksmi. You have written a beautiful poem. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely poem Raji.. I am too a lover if printed books :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful poem and an equally fabulous bookmark.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very beautiful poem.. The book mark is unique.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even though I have converted to ebooks recently, I can understand this feeling. Nancy drew inside Math book. I can so relate to that. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Even though I have converted to ebooks recently, I can understand this feeling. Nancy drew inside Math book. I can so relate to that. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Bijaylaxmi
    thank you so much :) I too loved those lines :D

    @Priyanka
    same pinch :D thanks for visiting

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Sulekha
    thank you so much :D

    @Usha
    Glad you liked them :D

    @Jyoti
    hehehe yeah those childhood days :D thanks for visiting

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've got company and I am another such emotional fool:) Beautifully expressed poem:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your presence!! Don't forget to leave behind a comment. Love, Feedback, Brickbats!! Everything's welcome :)

Networked

How Popular Am I?

Search This Blog

Loading...